Tuesday, September 21, 2010

10k run

this past saturday i participated in a fun run. i did the 10k and one of my friends did the half marathon (i've done one of those before, and that was plenty haha). it was a very cool event because it was on the outskirts of lusaka in the bush.

registration was super early at 6:30am saturday morning, which i was not a fan of. but as we were driving out of town into the bush, we were the only people on the road and the sun was blazing hot pink just above the horizon; it was a very serine, peaceful moment. which is not the normal feeling i have when i know im about to go for a run haha.

20 minutes later we pulled into a polo field which is where the event was being held. as we got out of the car, i saw more white people than ive seen the entire time ive been in zambia haha. it was a good family event though, so lots of parents and kids all around (there was a kids run, 5k, 10k, and half marathon so a large range).

zales, my friend, started his half marathon at 7am. my race didnt start until 8am, so i decided to go take a nap in the car. since im not a morning person, i obviously fell right back asleep. i was passed out hard. luckily i woke up like 7 minutes before my race was supposed to start. i could only imagine waking up and realizing my race had already started haha.

so i made it to the starting line just in time to start my race. i was feeling good, had my techno/rap music blaring (i had to borrow my friends headphones because my cat chewed my headphones apart....i swear this cat has something against me), the whistle blew, and we headed out into the bush. there were only about 50 people in the 10k race, so a pretty small group.

the race was going well and i was feeling good when 40 minutes in i realized i was already at the finish line. and knowing myself, there is no way i finished a 10k race in 40 minutes... i wish i was in that good of shape haha. apparently, one of the volunteers instructed us wrong and a whole group of us took a wrong turn cutting out a couple km of our run haha. whoops! in the part we missed out on, though, which took you further into the bush, some runners saw animals like zebra and kudu (which are like big deer), which is cool. pretty standard for your saturday morning run, right!?

all in all, even with the early wake up call and cheating out a couple km of my run, it was a fun event. we, grassroot soccer, are thinking about putting together another fun run at some point in the spring. there's a fairly high interest for these type of events in lusaka, but not many available. so that's something were going to try to get in the works.

maybe ill do a little more training by then and suck it up and do the half marathon. or who knows, maybe even a full....

1 comment:

  1. Running! Voluntarily! In the morning! I think I hear a full marathon calling you...

    ReplyDelete